Co-op– Manufacturing Engineering (Spring 2020)
Volvo Group Trucks Operations (GTO) is the truck industrial entity within the Volvo Group responsible for Truck manufacturing, including Cab & Vehicle Assembly, Powertrain Production, Logistics Services, Parts Distribution and Remanufacturing. Hagerstown’s group function is Powertrain Production. Powertrain production is one of the world's largest manufacturers of heavy-duty diesel engines for commercial vehicles. Powertrain production provides diesel engines and transmission systems to the Volvo Group Business Areas.
We are currently looking for a student to work with Manufacturing Engineering as Final Engine Line Co-op. The student should be prepared to work in a challenging and fast-paced environment; gaining experience and knowledge in various aspects of engineering. As a valued member of the Manufacturing Engineers within GTO, the student will have the opportunity to work directly with the engineers focusing on Engine Product Line efficiency improvements. GTO’s goal is to contribute to the student’s development, as well as providing an opportunity for the student to work in a business environment within the manufacturing industry. This position will report to Manager – Manufacturing Engineering.
• WPO Loss Reduction / Line Balancing
• Final Line Assembly Line OLE Improvement
• Standard Times Analysis and Maintenance
• Attention to Detail: Provide accurate data and reports that are pertinent to the team’s tasks.
• Teamwork: Building cooperation among individuals and departments, sharing information and resources, and working to achieve group goals and outcomes.
• Communication: Listen effectively, transmit information accurately and understandably, and actively seek feedback from experienced engineers, project manager, etc.
• Dependability/Reliability: Follow through on commitments, timely delivery on projects, assigned tasks, etc.
• Flexibility: Willing to perform a wide range of tasks, positive responds to changes in direction and priorities, and acceptance of new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments.
Co-op/Internship Education and Program Requirements
• Applicant must be currently enrolled and pursuing an Engineering Degree at an accredited school and have completed 30 semester hours of undergraduate studies prior to the start of the co-op/internship.
• Co-ops are required to work 40 hours per week and are NOT enrolled in academic courses during their co-op period.
• Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
• Strong communication skills.
• Customer Focus
• Technical Skills
• Peer Relationships
• Integrity and Trust
• Standing Alone
• Action Oriented
Preferred experience and knowledge
• Experience working in a Lean Manufacturing environment.
• Working knowledge of WCM (World Class Manufacturing), the Toyota Production Systems, or GMP with demonstrated practice in a manufacturing environment.
• 3D Modeling and Design with Solidworks or Inventor.
• Working experience in a Union (UAW) production factory.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing for layouts and part prints with ability to not only interpret, but also create drawings using AutoCAD software.
Volvo Group North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We Participate in E-verify